When it comes to hosting your website, there are a few important questions to tackle. There is no good or bad hosting, and the decision should be made based on your website requirement. With so many options to choose from, it may get confusing at times. In this article, we would discuss the two important hosting options, namely, Cloud Hosting and VPS Hosting. We have highlighted the differences between the two by explaining the workings, features and advantages of each hosting type.
What is VPS Hosting?
A Virtual Private Server, or VPS, is considered a one-step up-gradation from a Shared Hosting plan. In VPS Hosting, a single physical server is split into multiple virtual servers with the help of an application called the hypervisor. Each virtual server works independently from each other. This is the major difference from a shared server, where the activities of other websites can have an impact on your website. Each virtual server gives the user a dedicated environment for their website with complete root access to install any applications and operating system of their choice.
Advantages of VPS Hosting
- Total control of the server: With complete root access to the virtual server, you can tweak it to your advantage. Installing custom software and plugins becomes a cakewalk. You don’t need to take prior permission from the provider every single time.
- Scalability: Thanks to the server virtualisation, the resources allocated to it can be scaled up or down depending on the requirement. This is extremely beneficial in case of a sudden surge in traffic inflow.
- Cost-saving: Definitely, the USP of VPS Hosting. It is an ideal alternative for people who are looking to upgrade from a shared server without willing to put in a lot of money for purchasing an entire dedicated server.
What is Cloud Hosting?
With Cloud Hosting, multiple websites are hosted together, and the website data is stored across multiple servers using robust storage solutions. The data storage environment in Cloud Server Hosting uses data mirroring to store data in real-time across servers, which makes it one of the most reliable hosting solutions for your website. It also ensures high server uptime and advanced data security.
Advantages of Cloud Hosting
- Security: Cloud Hosting is a secure option for your data as the data storage is not dependent on a single server. If the primary server storing your data fails, your data is automatically retrieved through the secondary servers eliminating server downtime.
- Scalability: Cloud Hosting providers offer one-click scalability. This allows website owners to manage sudden traffic upsurges by seamlessly scaling up their resources. This is essential for e-commerce as well as growing websites that have dynamic site traffic.
- Price flexibility: Due to easy scalability, website owners can buy the most affordable Cloud Hosting plan when starting out. They can eventually scale up the resources and put in more money for hosting, as and when the business grows. This cost-efficiency is one of the USPs of Cloud Hosting.
Which one should you choose?
You should go for VPS Hosting if you require full root access to the server and need a dedicated virtual server space at affordable costs. You can opt for Cloud Hosting if you are facing high upsurges in traffic and require advanced data protection, with cloud-based data storage solution.
The debate of Cloud Hosting vs VPS is a never-ending one and the decision should be based on the requirements of the website. From the above descriptions, Cloud Hosting and VPS both offer seamless scalability and cost-efficiency to their users. However, Cloud Hosting utilises robust cloud storage architecture for storing your website data. VPS Hosting is a good intermediate between Shared Hosting and Dedicated Hosting. However, if you need a long-term solution that can seamlessly accommodate your dynamic traffic requirements and need for comprehensive data security, all the while offering cost-effective plans, then Cloud Hosting is your best bet!